Listed in Birth & Baptism, Church & Religion, Death Records, Employment Records, Free, Government & Legal, Immigration & Emigration, Jewish & Holocaust, Libraries & Museums & Archives, Manuscript Collections, Marriage & Divorce, Payroll, Poland
The State Archives in Lodz (Polish: Archiwum Państwowe w Łodzi) has a branch office in Sieradz (Polish: Oddział w Sieradzu) and as part of the National Archives of Poland is responsible for collecting all archival records in its territorial boundaries (from all pre-existing archives), maintaining the records, providing access to the records, and performing administrative duties for the state as well as scholarly research.
The National Archives of Poland has a map (below) with shaded regions showing the various state archives’ territorial responsibilities and the red outlines showing the province/voivodeship divisions. The State Archive in Łodz is in central Poland.
Background – The archives in Poland suffered tremendous losses during World War II and the occupation of Poland. Polish law now allows broad authority for deeming materials “archival” as they attempt to collect and preserve their history.
State Archives in Lodz, area covered: Lodz (city with county rights); district zgierski; Łódź East County: Municipalities Andrespol, Brójce, Nowosolna, Rzgow; Pabianicki district: City Konstantynów Lodz, Pabianice; Ksawerow commune, Pabianice
Branch Office in Sieradz (phone: 43 827 16 42), area covered: district of łaski; district sieradzki; district Wielun; Zduńska Wola district; Bełchatów district: municipality Rusiec; Pajęczno district: municipalities Działoszyn Kiełczygów, Siemkowice; poddębicki district: municipalities Dalików, Poddebice, Pęczniew, Wartkowice, Zadzim; Wieruszów district: municipality Lututów; pabianicki district municipalities of Dobron, Lutomiersk
Szukakawarchiwach.pl (official State Archive digital portal) has online scans of some collections from State Archives in Lodz:
Lodz administration records during WWI
Jews in the Lodz Ghetto 1940-1944
Management Board of the Warsaw Ghetto 1939-1945
Construction projects in Lodz, 1867-1918, commercial and private, official records
SEZAM and ZoSIA
This chart displays several sheets of the State Archive in Lodz’ inventoried collections. The scans column links to where the scans will appear at Szukakawarchiwach.pl when completed. (Szukakawarchiwach.pl can be very slow/unresponsive at certain times of the day so you might need to experiment with what time of day/night the site is responsive.)
This chart displays several sheets of the Branch in Sieradz’ inventoried collections. The scans column links to where the scans will appear at Szukakawarchiwach.pl when completed.
History of the State Archives in Lodz
from the Official online search engine, szukajwarchiwach.pl
City files and City administration Languages: Polish, Russian, German
“The first mention of Lodz comes from 1332. The city rights were granted on July 14, 1423. The land grant was issued by Władysław Jagiełło in Przedborz. Until the end of the 18th century, it was located in the Łęczyca province and was owned by the Kujawy bishops. In 1793, it was within the borders of the Prussian state of South Prussia. Good bishops have been secularized and the town became government property. On January 30, 1821, Lodz received the rights of a factory settlement, which spawned a spatial and economic development of the town, and intensified settlement processes, mainly due to clothers and weavers arriving primarily from Saxony, Silesia and Prussia. At the head of the government was then the mayor, who had an executive apparatus in the form of a municipal office. In 1841, Łódź obtained the rights of the gubernian city, which resulted in the city administration from now on in the hands of the president and the municipality. In the years 1807-1866 Łódź was located in the following order: the Warsaw department (1807-1815), the Mazowieckie province (1815-1837), the Warsaw guber (1837-1866). After the administrative reform of 1867, the town was located within the boundaries of the province of Piotrków and became the seat of the district authorities. The Russian administration managed Lodz until the beginning of 1915. After its evacuation, the city’s Civic Committee was replaced by the Civic Committee, which was replaced in July by the German magistrate. The latter performed its function until November 1918. At that time, the Polish authorities took over the authority in Lodz. Since 1919, Łódź was the seat of the newly established province, and then also the county seat of the town. Local government authorities ceased their activity in September 1939. Initially their seat was taken by the German Head of the Civil Board at 8th Army. From October 1939 until 19 January 1945, the City Council (Stadtverwaltung) was run by the Mayor of Lodz. The city was incorporated into the Reich and from February 1940 it was in the Reichsgau Wartheland district. In the same year it became the seat of the regency and also changed its name to Litzmannstadt.” See “Polish State Archives” by Tadeusz Wolichnowski, for more history and detail.
Please login or register to add your review.