- 395 Wellington Street Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4 CANADA
Library and Archives Canada has a collection called Land Grants of Western Canada, 1870-1930 online and free to search.
“When a homesteader filed an application, the local Dominion Lands Office screened and validated the claim, and sent an inspector to the property to confirm that the improvements had been made. If the Board approved the application, it was forwarded to Ottawa for the “preparation and issuance of patents” by the Lands Patent Branch.”
“Letters Patent were issued to grant or confirm title to a portion of land. They are the first title to land, and serve as proof that the land no longer belongs to the Crown. They were issued by the Registrar General’s Office of the Department of Secretary of State from 1867 to 1883 and by the Lands Patent Branch of the Department of the Interior after 18 July 1883.”
“For grants made by the provinces after 1930 or any land transactions after the issuing of the original Letters Patent, the relevant provincial archives must be consulted.” “